May 12, 2012

New Responsiblities!

I must admit I am still learning a lot being a church planter and pastor.  This past week a neighbor who lives down the street but close to us came up to see us.  We really haven't talked a lot but do speak from time to time.  It has been awhile so I was somewhat surprised because we've never really been that close although we knew the parents of this woman and have talked to her and her husband a few times.  Most of the time I see her husband Randy, as I am walking our kitty cat Tory on his leash.  So while I have spoken to both Randy and Jane a few times, I must admit I don't know them a lot just to share a few bits of news from time to time.  But this time the news Jane brought was really completely shocking.  She came up, knocked on the door and the proceeded to tell us that Randy has stage 4 cancer.  That means he really doesn't have that long to live.  So I went to visit with him the other night and then have been back once since then.  I suppose that is the very first true visit I have made as a pastor to a person in the hospital.  It is a shame that the person is dying that I am visiting.  I want to make sure he knows Jesus for sure before he leaves this world, that's for sure but just to be in this place at this time, while it doesn't surprise Jesus, it does suprise me; but God gives grace and prayerfully I will make a difference. And to show the contrast of the above information....this afternoon I visited with a couple that want to be married so I conducted my first ever premartial counseling.....everything went very well so I was blessed and pleased.  God was with me or should I say "us" as we planned for the upcoming wedding, which is just in 3 weeks!  So from counseling in a hospital to counseling a couple wanting to be married God continues to grow me both as a pastor and a person; I hope and pray I mature the way HE wants me to and do the things successfully that He's called me to do.  God is good; may the adventure He's called me to....continue with His annointing and blessing!

No comments: